Posted: February 12th, 2017 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: Auto News, Concept Car, Concept Vehicle, Lamborghini | Tags: Lamborghini, Stefano Domenicali, Stephan Winkelmann, SUV, Urus, Volkswagen Group | Comments Off on Lamborghini Urus Hybrid Production Confirmed for April ’17
It’s been five years since Lamborghini first unveiled their Hybrid SUV concept – Urus – at the 2012 Beijing Motor Show. Since then it’s been waning between remaining a viable but ultimately unrealised vision – like the mythical Estoque super saloon – or a full-fledged addition to the Lambo stable.
In 2013 more hints that the Italian super-car maker was serious about the Urus came from then Chief Executive Stephan Winkelmann who said the company’s future plans were very much in-line with a high-performance SUV in its offer.
Via an interview with Digital Trends, Lamborghini’s current CEO Stefano Domenicali has confirmed that production of the überSUV will begin in April 2017, with prototype test vehicles rolling off the line first. Production of customer-bound examples be underway by July 2017 :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: August 19th, 2015 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: AMG, Auto Maker, Motoring News, Rearview | Tags: AMG GT S Australia, Mercedes-Benz Australia | Comments Off on AMG Lands Gullwing Replacement in Australia, Meet the GT S
First previewed last September, Mercedes-Benz Australia has finally unveiled the new GT S to local punters. The biturbo 4.0 litre V8, two seater coupé – subtly replacing the now legendary SLS – has styling and specs set to take on allcomers.
The goal? …to take on its Stuttgart rival, Porsche, specifically the iconic 911 GT3. This coupé is impressive, very impressive, and competitively priced to boot – the SLS was a smidge over $AU500,ooo, this incarnation lands in Oz for a smidge under $AU300,ooo.
For my liking, the only downside is that Australia will miss out on the base Model GT, Mercedes Benz Australia instead opting for the fully loaded version :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: March 29th, 2015 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: Auto News, Grilled, Renault | Tags: Australia, Formula One Grand Prix, Infiniti Red Bull, mercedes benz, Red Bull Racing, renault, Renault Sport F1 | Comments Off on Renault on Brink of Quitting F1 Over Engine Stoush
French auto-giant Renault has said it is reviewing all its Formula One options, including quitting the sport or buying the Toro Rosso team, after stinging criticism of its engine.
The car maker has been at loggerheads with main partners Red Bull since Mercedes decisively ran-away with the season opening Australian Grand Prix earlier this month.
Despite signs of improvement in Friday practice at the Malaysian Grand Prix, Renault Sport F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul did not pull any punches when asked at a news conference about the situation.
Renault supplies power units to former champions Red Bull and sister team Toro Rosso, its only remaining clients after Caterham folded and Lotus switched to Mercedes :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: January 16th, 2014 | Author: Valerie Wing | Filed under: Auto Maker, Auto News, Volkswagen | Tags: Car Sales, china, General Motors, GM China, porsche, Volkswagen | Comments Off on VW Tops China Car Sales
VW are now the biggest automotive manufacturer in the world’s biggest automotive market, quite a contrast to their US operations where they skirt around the middle of the pack.
Volkswagen were once much-loved in the US for their quality, but have since seriously fallen out of favor.
Over in the Middle Kingdom VW’s pull on the Chinese public is immense, the German auto-makers offer stretches from the cheapest $US12,000 hatch to the $US175,000 Phaeton übersedan.
And it seems that anything with a VW badge riveted to the front and back panels seems to simply drive out the showroom doors.
Volkswagen sold 3.27 million vehicles in China last year, it’s closest rival, GM, sold 3.16 million cars, now the race is on for VW to become the world’s biggest automotive manufacturer, but for them to achieve that result they will need to improve the way the US market views them :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: December 12th, 2013 | Author: Marcus Dangerfield | Filed under: Auto Maker, Auto News, General Motors, Holden | Tags: Australian Auto Industry, Australian Government Subsidies, Australian Industry, Elizabeth South Australia, General Motors, General Motors Holden, Holden Australia, Market Response Days, Motor Manufacturing | Comments Off on General Motors Holden’s Gone Baby Gone
General Motors has made it’s decision – it’s pulling out of Australia as early as 2016 – Australia’s entire car making industry and tens of thousands of jobs have been thrown into doubt by Holden’s decision to close down.
Almost 3,000 Holden workers are set to lose their jobs – over the next three to four years – as the auto-maker winds down its Australian manufacturing operations.
The decision has prompted Toyota – the only other car manufacturer left in Australia to warn – that Holden’s withdrawal – puts “unprecedented pressure” on the Japanese based manufacturers ability to build cars in the country too.
Mike Devereaux – Holden’s boss – cited a range of economic factors, however he wouldn’t be drawn on the possibility that the government’s move to rule out financial assistance had played any role, the announcement ends a 65 year history of building cars in Australia, and raises a truckload of questions about this nations future in manufacturing.
The decision has been met with regret by the premiers of South Australia and Victoria. General Motors decision means the loss of 2,900 immediate jobs – 1,600 from it’s South Australia plant 1,300 in Victoria – the question on everyone’s lips is, how many more will be affected, The Prime Minister called it a dark day :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: July 9th, 2013 | Author: Michael Courtenay | Filed under: Auto News, General Motors, Holden | Tags: Australian Auto Industry, Australian Government Subsidies, Australian Industry, General Motors, General Motors Holden, Holden Australia, Motor Manufacturing | Comments Off on Then there was one….
As Holden talks of cutting costs,production and jobs, the once mighty motor-car makers CEO Mike Devereux has warned of more pain on the horizon for the company’s embattled workers, pay cuts and more job losses, saying the car maker must radically and quickly reduce costs to survive in Australia.
The company says it is facing unprecedented challenges and is now asking its workers to help it make significant savings to ensure its Australian operations remain globally competitive. Last week, a warning from executives about the company’s future triggered a surge in employees wanting a voluntary separation package.
Ford’s talk of factory closures have flared fears for the future of Australia’s automotive industry. Australia’s auto industry is in such disarray that terms like “everything’s on the table” are being bandied around. A high dollar, cheap overseas labour and a global market are putting pressure on Australia’s manufacturing sector, and the car industry represents the malaise like no other.
There was a time when Australia had five car companies successfully making and selling cars locally. But those days are long gone – there has been a slow and steady decline in the industry since the early 1980s. Nissan closed its doors in 1992, Mitsubishi followed in 2008, and now Ford has announced it will stop production in Australia in 2016. The remaining companies, Toyota and Holden, have cut hundreds of jobs in the past two years, both are intending the slashing to continue, with odds on even that neither will be making cars in Australia within 5 years :: Read the full article »»»»
Posted: April 15th, 2013 | Author: Marcus Dangerfield | Filed under: Citroën | Tags: 2013 Shanghai Auto Show, Citroën, DS SUV, Wild Rubis | Comments Off on Citroën’s Wild Side
Unveiling its latest concept at this years Shanghai Auto Show is perhaps a sign that Citroën has woken up and smelled the wild roses. The French auto-maker is one of the most internationally recognised brands, and no stranger to it’s recently targeted market, Asia. Citroën is pinning pretty big hopes that it’s DS – premium – range appeals to the emerging Asian middle-class.
Making it’s discreet debut in France, ahead of the Shanghai showing, the DS Wild Rubis is graced with sculptural, fluid design elements on profile, with a muscular line details running from front haunches to rear. Citroën’s Wild Rubis represents “the forerunner of the future DS SUV” according to Citroen. The company says DS3, DS4, DS5 and the Numéro 9 concept car are all contributing muses to the Wild Rubis’ form.
By Citroën standards, Wild Rubis is relatively mild, indeed the wildest, least likely part of the car to make it to the factory floor is the name. Stood next to it’s previous concepts – checkout Mark Lloyds 1999 C9 Lignage – Wild Rubis looks like it just rolled onto the showroom floor :: Read the full article »»»»