The Kernel

 advertise with indeep media

UPDATED! Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear Presenter Booted by BBC

Posted: March 11th, 2015 | Author: | Filed under: Favorite New Thought | Tags: , , | Comments Off on UPDATED! Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear Presenter Booted by BBC

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear Presenter Booted by BBC
Outspoken British presenter of the Top Gear motoring show, Jeremy Clarkson, has been suspended by the BBC after he was involved in a “fracas” with a producer.

Clarkson, who has generated both controversy and profits for Britain’s publicly funded broadcaster, was already on a final warning over accusations last year that he had used racist language while filming the show.

UPDATED! March 25, 2015 :: The BBC has announced that it will not be renewing Jeremy Clarkson’s contract, after the Top Gear presenter assaulted a producer.

BBC director-general Tony Hall said in a statement that it was with “great regret” that he made the decision

UPDATE! May 21, 2016 :: Jeremy Clarkson has said being dropped from Top Gear “was my own silly fault”.

The broadcaster was speaking to BBC Radio 2’s Chris Evans in his first interview since losing his job over a “fracas” with a producer.

Clarkson said leaving the show had “left a huge hole” in his life “that needs to be filled”.

Clarkson admitted he had taken phone calls from broadcasters who wanted to poach the Top Gear team but said: “I’d be a fool to jump into something.” The former BBC broadcaster said ::::

BBC STATEMENT Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear Presenter Booted by BBC

“Following a fracas with a BBC producer, Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation,” the broadcaster said in a statement. “No-one else has been suspended.”

The BBC said Top Gear, which has 350 million viewers per week in 170 countries, would not be broadcast this Sunday as scheduled.

Clarkson became the popular face of Top Gear by mixing a passion for cars with blunt banter and swagger that offended, among others, environmental groups, mental health charities and cyclists.

He was called before BBC bosses last year after a British newspaper reported he had been heard using the word “nigger” as he recited an old version of the rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe to choose between cars in filming two years earlier.

The 54-year-old presenter later apologised for any offence caused by the reports about the use of the word.

Clarkson was already on final warning, he wrote in his Sun newspaper column last May that he had been told by the BBC that if he made “one more offensive remark, anywhere at any time, I will be sacked”.

But he was back in hot water in October when the show sparked a diplomatic incident between Britain and Argentina, two countries which went to war in 1982.

A Top Gear television crew was forced to flee Argentina after driving a Porsche 928 GT with the registration number H982 FKL – which some people suggested referred to the Falklands conflict.

Clarkson was among those who were forced to abandon their vehicles after an angry crowd gathered and began throwing stones, but the BBC denied the registration plate was intended as a deliberate provocation.

Despite or even because of years of controversy, however, Top Gear has become one of the BBC’s most successful and lucrative programs.

It was even recognised by Guinness World Records as the most-watched factual television show of all time.

The BBC said it would say nothing further on the matter and Clarkson could not be reached for comment.

His manager and his assistant did not immediately return calls requesting comment.

BBC Announces Clarkson’s Contract Won’t Be Renewed

UPDATED! March 25, 2015 :: The BBC has announced that it will not be renewing Jeremy Clarkson’s contract, after the Top Gear presenter assaulted a producer.

BBC director-general Tony Hall said in a statement that it was with “great regret” that he made the decision.

“It is not a decision I have taken lightly,” Mr Hall said. “I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and producer Oisin Tymon. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC.”

Mr Tymon said in a statement he was grateful to the BBC for the swift investigation into “this very regrettable incident”.

“I’ve worked for Top Gear for almost a decade … over that time Jeremy and I had a positive and successful working relationship,” Mr Tymon said. “He is a unique talent and I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end this way.”

Police in the northern English county of North Yorkshire, where the incident took place, said they had asked the BBC for its detailed findings.

Police would then assess the information and take action “where necessary”, a statement said.

Top Gear’s original Stig, Perry McCarthy, told the BBC News Channel: “Like him or loathe him, people tune into Top Gear primarily for Jeremy Clarkson.”

The Stig said Clarkson had “a lot more options” than the BBC.

“Other broadcasters will be thinking, ‘how can we get Jeremy Clarkson onto our screens?’,” McCarthy said.

The former presenter has made no official comment, but has changed his Twitter bio to read: “I used to be a presenter on the BBC2 motoring show, Top Gear.”

The BBC said Clarkson was earlier suspended after a “fracas”, reported to be a verbal and physical assault on Mr Tymon after the star failed to receive a hot meal after a day’s filming.

An investigation into the incident found Mr Tymon was subject to a “physical and verbal attack” by Clarkson, which left the producer “shocked and distressed”.

The attack left Mr Tymon with a bloody lip, and although the investigation found Clarkson later made a number of attempts to apologise, Mr Tymon suffered “significant personal distress”.

The suspension over the incident sparked nationwide debate, with prime minister David Cameron among those weighing in on Clarkson’s side and more than one million people signing an online petition calling for him to be reinstated.

Clarkson was already on his last warning from the BBC, for whom he has worked since 1988, after drawing fire over a string of inflammatory remarks.

Most damaging for Clarkson have been accusations of using the N-word in leaked footage of him reciting an old nursery rhyme, something the presenter denied.

He was also accused of making a racially offensive comment about an Asian man.

Top Gear has regularly been criticised over its depiction and jokes at the expense of Albanians, Romanians and Germans among others.

Last year, the team fled Argentina after residents hurled stones at a Porsche Clarkson was driving whose licence plates appeared to make reference to the Falklands War.

The BBC was also forced to apologise to Mexico after the show described Mexicans as “lazy” and “feckless”.

Russian Television Network Offers Clarkson Job

UPDATED! March 26, 2015 :: Russia’s Zvezda television, a channel run by the defence ministry, has unexpectedly revealed that it has offered a job to former British Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson after he was dropped by the BBC for assaulting his producer.

The state-owned channel, which promotes the armed forces but also airs general entertainment shows, published a letter to Clarkson on its website asking him to host a new motoring show and inviting him to visit Moscow to discuss the offer.

“He will reply. I cannot reply on his behalf,” a spokesman for Clarkson named by the channel as Daniel Rix told the channel by telephone. Zvezda also published on its website an excerpt from an e-mail written by Mr Rix late on Wednesday.

It said: “I can only imagine what an episode of Russian vyshaya peredacha [a literal translation of Top Gear into Russian] would look like. It could feature a Tzar in a reasonably priced car!” Mr Rix added jokingly, referring to a celebrity feature on the show called “a star in a reasonably priced car”.

It was not clear whether Zvezda understood Mr Rix’s play on words, since its own translation of the letter was more literal, saying the show could become a “tsar among shows about reasonably priced cars in Russia”.

“Possibly he’ll learn a lot of new things about our car industry and will change his mind after becoming a presenter on Zvezda,” the network said.

A licensed Russian local version of Top Gear ran briefly, however it failed to rate. Clarkson has previously visited Russia to film Top Gear and present roadshows.

UPDATED! Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear Presenter Booted by BBC

Clarkson Confident He’ll Star in ‘Another Car Show’

The now former Top Gear star Jeremy Clarkson says he would work on another motoring program after being dropped by the BBC for hitting a producer. He revealed his pain at leaving Top Gear, a hugely successful show which draws more than 250 million viewers around the world, but said he would “pick up the pieces and start again”.

The BBC last month announced it was not renewing Clarkson’s contract after 12 years on the show, after the 55-year-old launched an unprovoked attack on producer Oisin Tymon.

“I have lost my baby but I shall create another,” the presenter wrote in his column for the Sunday Times newspaper, where he revealed his shock at losing his job. “I don’t know who the other parent will be or what the baby will look like, but I cannot sit around any more organising my photograph albums.”

Clarkson revealed that two days before the incident he had been told that a lump on his tongue was “probably cancer”.

He has since received the all-clear, but told the newspaper: “It was beyond-belief stressful, everything was going wrong, and then you know… there you go, but everybody has stressful days, and they manage to cope better than I did.”

Clarkson said he had considered giving up television, but decided to “stop being silly, I just know I’m going to do another car show.”

The remaining episodes of the latest Top Gear series were cancelled after Clarkson’s suspension and a string of live auto shows around the world were dropped.

However, the BBC’s commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, has agreed to allow Clarkson and co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May to tour without the BBC and Top Gear labels.

Jeremy Clarkson: 'Top Gear exit was my own silly fault'

‘Top Gear Exit My Own Silly Fault’

Jeremy Clarkson has said being dropped from Top Gear “was my own silly fault”. The broadcaster was speaking to BBC Radio 2’s Chris Evans in his first interview since losing his job over a “fracas” with a producer.

He said leaving the show had “left a huge hole” in his life “that needs to be filled”. Clarkson admitted he had taken phone calls from broadcasters who wanted to poach the Top Gear team but said: “I’d be a fool to jump into something.”

“I have been at the BBC for 27 years. When you emerge after 27 years, you find the world is changed.
“When you learn how the world works, you can start to work out what to do,” he continued.

“In the meantime I’m getting really good at tennis. My forehand has improved immeasurably.”

Later on Thursday, Clarkson will launch what he called a “badly organised world tour” with his former co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May in Belfast.

He said the production was Top Gear in all but name – but the team were now “able to make their own films” for the big screens “without any meddling” from the BBC.

“It’s broadly the same thing it’s been for the last 10 years,” he added.

Petition

Clarkson was suspended, then dropped, by the BBC in March following a “fracas” with a producer at a hotel.
Producer Oisin Tymon suffered swelling and a split lip in the assault by Clarkson on 4 March and visited a hospital A&E department for his injuries.
Following an internal investigation, the BBC announced on 25 March Clarkson’s contract on Top Gear would not be renewed.

At the time, a BBC spokesman said: “Jeremy’s contract has not been renewed on Top Gear but he isn’t banned from appearing on the BBC.”
More than a million fans signed a petition to reinstate the presenter, but BBC director general Tony Hall said “a line has been crossed” and “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another”.

‘Very sad’

Top Gear is watched by some 350 million viewers worldwide and is one of the BBC’s biggest properties, with overseas sales worth an estimated £50m a year.

Speaking to Chris Evans, Clarkson said the show was “very much my baby, I absolutely adored it. I worked all through the night and paid attention to every tiny bit.

“And then suddenly you are not asked to do that any more… I was very sad.”

But the presenter said he did not harbour any resentment towards the BBC.

“There are some dreadful people in it,” he said, “but there are also some really talented, brilliant people. I will never complain about it.”

The BBC plans to relaunch Top Gear with new presenters. Evans, a noted car enthusiast, had been linked to the reboot but has ruled himself out.

@mcsixtyfive

The Kernel

unRELATED! Adrian Van Anz’ Derringer Board-track eBike

Adrian Van Anz' Derringer Board-track eBike

Board-track bikes are all the rage in the burbs, these two stroke café racers are just about as much fun as you can have on two wheels. Styling for these 1920s inspired cycles is super sleek, fine fitted metal work mounted to tubular framing, screaming speed and smacking a smile on the face of riders.

Legendary board-track builders, Derringer, have branched out to include an eBike: World Meet the Derringer V Heritage Series. The two-stroke has been replaced by a choice of 3 electric motors, the styling stays true :: Read the full article »»»»

unRELATED! Google Robot Drivers are Coming, South Australia Plans on Being First

Google Robot Drivers are Coming, South Australia Plans on Being First
There are plans to update South Australia’s road laws to allow for a future when driverless cars may become a reality.

Former General Motors executive and adviser to Google’s driverless car project Larry Burns visited Adelaide last year to speak with government and business interests about the project’s progress.

In a speech delivered in the South Australian Parliament today to mark the formal opening of the new session, the Government outlined a plan to reform two pieces of road legislation :: Read the full article »»»»

 

unRELATED! Drug Driving Overtakes Drinking Offences

Drug Driving Rate Overtakes Drinking OffencesPolice in New South Wales have expressed alarm over the number of drivers being caught under the influence of illicit drugs. While testing for alcohol is still far more common on NSW roads, the rate of positive results is more than four times greater for drugs than alcohol.

And the numbers never lie, during an operation in mid-December officers from the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command submitted a total of 205 drivers to random breath tests, resulting in 4 drink-driving charges. During the same operation 153 drivers undertook random drug tests, with 8 positive results.

The problem isn’t local, the Centers for Disease Control predicts that 18 percent of all motor vehicle driver deaths in the US are attributable to drug-driving. In the UK researchers say drug-driving has increased four fold in less than a decade :: Read the full article »»»»

unRELATED! All-New Range Rover Sport | Empty Quarter Documentary

All-New Range Rover Sport - Empty Quarter Documentary

In the world’s largest sand desert, treacherous terrain, violent sandstorms and unforgiving temperatures make The Empty Quarter the toughest challenge yet for the #NewRangeRoverSport. Watch the full story unfold as the team battle the elements against a stunning backdrop to set a new driving record :: Read the full article »»»»

 

GIFTS.FOR.HER GIFTS.FOR.HIM

source: reuters
source: afp/bbc
source: wikipedia
source: indeepmedia
image source: wikicommons


Comments are closed.